ADVERTISEMENT

Football Notes From Friday AM Practice (3/25)

-Sellers-

Staff
Feb 8, 2009
For me personally I wish every practice was at 6:30 AM. I'm a morning person and I love having the opportunity to see a practice and get some work done all before noon.

As has become the norm with Tom Herman, Houston found a way to have the most intense practice possible, while still keeping it light too:

They let the rabbits take the first rep of the circle drill. Inside sources also confirm those costumes smelled really bad. None the less, the energy level remained the same.

One last moment from this morning that I thought was worth sharing. I always try to listen in as best as possible when Herman addresses the team just before the start if practice. I have never listed to any portion of these and not heard him say something that I like.

This morning as he was addressing the team, he said I sentenced that I loved and thought I would write it down and pass it along to you guys to demonstrate how he is changing to the next chapter in his program building. The moment was a little lost because the UH Football Twitter account thought it was good too and tweeted it out, so if you already saw it this morning you'll understand why it felt important:

On to more important things:

Here is what I saw from the offense during pre-practice run through. Remember I said yesterday that this timeframe is good for getting a gauge on the depth chart but a guy could be running 10 minutes late and another guy plugged in so it is nothing set in stone.

1st Offense:

They started out with the OL (L-R) Oliver, Denley, Noble, Eloph, Rodgers
Greg Ward was flanked by Catalon (r) and Isaiah Johnson (l) although they also moved Johnson out to the left on other sets. The other receivers were Chance Allen, Linell Bonner and Steven Dunbar. When used, McCloskey was still first team TE.

The second was led up front (L-R) by Josh Jones, Josh Thomas, Kameron Eloph, Mac Long and Mason Denley. Postma was the QB, Leslie was the TE and the receivers were Leday, Samples and one I didn't get. I also didn't get the RB here as I got caught in a conversation with a coach and didn't write it down. (sorry)

Defensively, here is a set I have a good feeling on in terms of who is fighting with the first team right now during live action.

Safeties - Garrett Davis and Khalil Williams are pretty clear with Michael Eke and Darius Gilbert seeing reps with the 2s
CBs - We know Wilson will have one side locked down but right now, Howard Wilson, Joel Williams, Jeremy Winchester and Andrew Robertson are all getting quality reps and battling.
***J.J. Dallas and Terrell Williams are out there a lot in nickel package so those guys who will likely push more once they get up to speed fully and/or could be solid options as the nickel back if they don't crack the starting lineup.***

DL - I talked with coach Giles for a few minutes after practice today and he feels solid right now with Malveaux, Singleton, Thurman and Jerard Carter as 4 solid guys with Chauntez Jackson and Zach Vaughan being those next 2 guys he hopes to finish depth out with. Obviously the arrival of Ed Oliver and Flemming in the fall could impact this but we will cross that bridge down the road. I was told today that Thurman is doing very well and pushing the group.

LB - This one seems solid but still under evaluation. You have even Taylor and Matthew Adams which seem pretty solid. Tyus Bowser will lead that rush LB spot. Next wave right now seems to be Emeke Egbule (who seems to playing some at rush LB and some in the middle too but maybe just cross training) D'Juan Hines and Ralph Harvey Jr.

For a 6:30 AM practice there was a good group of recruits/signees on hand, including Ed Oliver, Collin Wilder, Dixie Wooten, a 2017 TE prospect from Mississippi Darius Pittman (I'm going to follow up), a Katy contingent including 2017 TE offer Parker Eichenberger, 2017 center Hayden Howerton (who was subsequently offered today). I'll see if I can confirm few more names and add them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.