ADVERTISEMENT

Why Applewhite Got The Gig

coogam

Gold Member
Mar 9, 2011
I am in no way starting a thread calling for CMA to get fired. It simply would not be fair at all since we are only four games into his first season as head coach. CMA will get several years to prove his worth. What I do think is fair is to revisit the list of the reasons given by those who did the hiring as to why he got the gig in the first place. Listen to these.

"Applewhite, who joined Houston in 2015, combined with Herman to lead one of the nation's best offenses. The Cougars ranked 15th nationally in passing offense (301.9 yards per game) and 21st in scoring (38 points per game) this season. In addition, they averaged 157.3 yards rushing in 2016."

"Overall, Houston gained more than 500 yards in a game on 11 occasions over the past two seasons." (2015-2016)

"It's no coincidence that the success UH football has achieved over the past two seasons happened with Major Applewhite running our offense," university president Renu Khator said in a statement. "His energy and creativity are responsible for one of the most explosive passing games in college football and I am confident that as our head coach he will continue our upward trajectory as a nationally relevant athletics program."

Now, compare the glowing reports with his four game resume. There is no other way to say it. There is really no comparison to this year and why CMA got the gig in the first place. I know it is still early days but unless CMA can turn things around we will get a whole lot less than we thought we were going to get for our money.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/houston-promotes-major-applewhite-head-coach/story?id=44088129

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News