ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Addressing The LSU/Tom Herman Rumors *Updated 9/30 6:19PM*

JeffersonPowell

Staff
Jun 2, 2011
Okay gang, I've been gathering some intel from quite a few contacts on this matter and I just wanted to share with you what I have heard from a few people I trust.

On The LSU Job Opening

There are two names at the top of LSU's short list. Tom Herman and Jimbo Fisher. I heard from an LSU source that Jimbo to LSU was very close to happening last year but something happened with the chancellor that derailed it late in the process.

According to one of my sources Jimbo really wants to return to Louisiana. One reason being his son has some type of medical condition and the doctor that treats him is located in Louisiana. I had a hard time believing Jimbo would leave FSU, but my contact assured me it was just about a done deal last season.

I have heard though that Tom Herman is LSU's top choice this go-round and they are prepared to offer him close to $6M per to make it happen.

On Tom Herman

In the last update we put out in June about Tom Herman and other coaching rumors we noted that there are jobs that Herman would leave for which is basically a top ten program. LSU fits that bill and would have to be enticing to Herman.

I think what it's going to come down to is if/how quickly Houston can get into a P5 conference. Because another source I trust told me if Houston gets P5, then Herman stays and will be locked down. I have also heard that money won't be an issue for Houston, the problem is whether or not they get into a P5 because Houston won't be able to keep up with other programs financially in other areas without bringing in the added revenue from being in a P5 conference.

I will revisit this again, but the last conversations I had on the Big 12 were Houston was pretty much a lock as the No.1 school to add and would probably join with either BYU (which was the No.2 name I heard in June) but now Cincinnati has made some ground. Who joins with them is irrelevant to Houston, they just have to find a way to get those votes.

If this happens in October/November like we last heard it was expected to, I expect Herman to stay with Houston based on everything I have heard and he will be locked down for the foreseeable future. If it doesn't happen soon and it carries on into next year, the less likely it is he would stay.

As of now LSU is already in the market for Herman's services. Other teams could soon follow late in the year if other coaching changes are made. USC, Texas and Notre Dame are all programs to keep an eye on.

We'll monitor the situation closely going forward and should I hear anything concrete worth sharing I will pass it along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News