ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Coaching Search: 11/28 Update

JeffersonPowell

Staff
Jun 2, 2011
As Houston continues on it's search to replace former Houston coach Tom Herman Cougarsden has the latest on the coaching search with a few of the most recent nuggets we are hearing in regards to Houston's search for Herman's replacement.

The Splash Hires

In our last update we mentioned a few potential splash hire candidates in WVU head coach Dana Holgorsen, and Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen. There isn't much that's new out there in regards to these names, I still feel as though the Mullen interest might be a leveraging opportunity to get a raise in Starkville. West Virginia has a game on Dec. 3 against Baylor, expect the Holgorsen talks to heat up shortly after the Mountaineers season finale on Saturday.

A Name Gaining Traction?

I have heard from multiple sources on both sides including sources close to Arkansas State that Houston has reached out to current Arkansas State head coach Blake Anderson about the vacant position at Houston. I've heard thus far it was mostly for feelers, but sources close to Arkansas State tell me there is some legitimate interest in the Houston opening from Anderson, who has ties in Texas including family. I am told that if offered he would accept the position.

Anderson would not be considered a splash hire by most, but he is considered to be similar to the Herman mold in that he's a very high energetic coach who has a strong presence on social media.

A few of the folks I have talked to have told me that they believe Anderson would be a good fit for Houston and would consider him a good hire, though it likely wouldn't generate the buzz and splash many are hoping for.
Anderson has a 22-15 record at Arkansas State following his third year with the team.

Another Name Mentioned Recently

Another name brought up in my conversations today was current Troy head coach Neal Brown. Brown's agent has made contact with the search firm according to sources close to Houston.

Brown has been Troy's head coach since 2015 and currently has a 13-10 record. After a 4-8 season during his debut season as Troy's head coach, he currently has Troy sitting at 9-2 with a 6-1 record in the Sun Belt conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News