ADVERTISEMENT

Everything BIG XII expansion news:

borncoog74

Jul 28, 2009
We have several threads on several topics and debates, but I wanted to create one central thread for the latest news that comes out throughout the coming days/weeks.

WVU Prez ways in

He deferred questions on options to Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, but did reply when asked about Texas’ stance on its Longhorn Network.

“My view is we didn’t really address that issue directly, but one of the things we’re very interested in is a new kind of platform,” Gee said. “One can make an argument that in three or four years we’re going to be moving away from the traditional kind of [conference] networks. Frankly, from my point of view — and many points of view — I think that’s where we’re heading.”

----------
Then there’s Houston, which has reportedly landed the support of Texas President Greg Fenves via Twitter.

“Houston is a very fine institution,” Gee said. “I know the leadership there and it has one of the best football coaches in America in Tom Herman. So I’m not surprised. I think what [Fenves] indicated, though, is he wouldn’t be opposed.”

Fenves’ complete tweet was this: “As we look at opportunities for Big 12 expansion, I support considering @UHouston for the conference. UH is a huge asset for Texas.”

---------

On the other hand, Iowa State President Steven Leath expressed consternation over the Cougars to the Ames Tribune in Iowa.

“They certainly have a lot of factors we are interested in,” Leath said. “I feel a lot of the [Big 12] presidents feel the league is Texas-heavy already, which helps with the Texas schools, but it’s a little problematic for the rest of us to go from the very northern part of the league like us to the very southern part of the league.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News