ADVERTISEMENT

Help fund the Lopez Loot! -- 5/27- Thank you!

cyyoungcear

Mar 19, 2013
Hello, gentlemen!

As many of you know, I'm an elementary school teacher in HISD, and I love my job. My students are my babies, and while I don't have biological children, I try my best to show them as much care as a father would from 7:15-2:45.

Like many classrooms, I have a ticket system for prizes which range from privileges to tangible items. One of my kids from last year suggested through the middle of the year that I call it the Lopez Loot. We were studying poetry and alliteration. Anyway, in honor of her, I did call it the Lopez Loot this year and this is what it looks like.

lopezloot_zpsfa3byift.jpg

It comes in different denominations for different accomplishments in the classroom. I only give out the large 10 pieces for the monumental tasks like getting 100 on one of our HISD Snapshots(tests).

Anyway, my prize list includes things like

3-Fun Size Candy
8-Bag of Chips
10-Sit in the teacher's chair for a day
20-Mr. Lopez buys you a book off of the scholastic orders
25-Lunch with Mr. Lopez and a friend

Things like that. The grand prize that I put on here was that for 50 tickets, that would get you 2 tickets to a UH Basketball or Baseball game.

I put that out there for my high achievers who wanted to practice some goal setting and discipline. I have a lot of wonderful children, but a lot just spend their Lopez Loot on candy and chips. They never save up.

My room is generally red and white, I of course have our athletics posters displayed, the Cougar Paw is our quiet sign, I wear one of my UH polo shirts on Fridays, and I hype UH up as much as possible. During the football season, after a win before we went home on Mondays, I would show the highlight video from the previous game. I'm always trying to get my students to love UH and the thought of college. We're a title 1 school, so most of our students come from homes whose parents didn't go to college. HISD is big on pumping up college for everyone.

Anyway, I say all of this to bring up the point that one of my boys made me SO happy this week as he came to me with his 50 Lopez Loot that he had been saving the entire year to ask for tickets to a basketball game. He already talked to his dad about it, and he's going to take him. He's well aware of the schedule from the poster, so he wants to go the Cincinnati game on the 7th of January.

I am of course willing to purchase the tickets for him, and would never have put this up as one of the possible prizes if I wasn't ready to do so. However, because my salary is modest, I can really only comfortably afford general admission tickets. I know that several of you have extra tickets to basketball(and in really nice seats that you sometimes don't use), and I thought to ask some of you if would be willing to donate those to my classroom to give my kids an awesome experience that I'm absolutely certain they wouldn't forget any time soon.

So how about it gentlemen, will you help a fellow Cougar who is trying to make his students fall in love with UH as much as he is?

Thanks, and Go Coogs!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News