ADVERTISEMENT

No Big 12 Expansion for Now

Account53113

Aug 23, 2010
Says West Virginia's Gordon Gee?

Article.

“I think [the rule change allowing title games with 10 teams] has helped a lot,” West Virginia University president E. Gordon Gee told WVSports.com on Saturday night, after speaking during an Intercollegiate Athletics Panel in Morgantown.

“In the Big 12, it helps us in the fact that we don’t have to expand in order to be able to have a conference championship game. I think everyone is now working very hard to keep us together. I would have said maybe two years ago there was a real possibility of a disruption, but I feel that it’s much less now.”

The Big 12 and commissioner Bob Bowlsby have not decided if or when the league will utilize the rule to hold championship games.

“I think we’re a very stable league,” Gee said. “And I think that we’d only speak about expansion if it makes sense.”

The expansion committee still does research on potential future members, but none of the data is substantial enough for the league to pull the trigger on adding any new members.

“We’ve done all the analytics of what adding several teams would mean and what it would look like going into subdivisions,” Gee added.

Reactions: SUcoog
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News