ADVERTISEMENT

Football Practice Notes Aug. 15

!MarcusGutierrez!

Staff
Apr 17, 2014
Practice notes for Aug. 15.
I made it out to Houston's practice this morning and here is my recap.

Head coach Tom Herman has preached that this would be the hardest fall camp in the history of college football and I don't think he is just saying that.
When I walked in the Cougars were practicing with their punt team on offense and defense. Usually special teams drills are just an easy walk through, but not for the Cougars.
Defensive coordinator Tom Orlando and defensive back coach Jason Washington were preaching technique and effort. I have never seen coaches work hard on special teams drills, but this staff doesn't play around on any drill and that is due to the new culture here at Houston.
The Cougars had two returners returning punts, which were Ra'Shad Samples and true freshman Marquez Stevenson.

The Cougars then moved to individual drills.
Wide receivers - The wide receivers worked with coach Darrell Wyatt and Chance Allen stood out the most. Allen was vocal and helped push the younger WR's through the drills. I got a glimpse of Tren'davian Dickson and he looked a little slim compared to when I saw him in high school. It's no need to worry because I'm sure Yancy McKnight and his staff will have him up to par. Also no word on if and when the NCAA might approve Dickinson for this year to play. That is something that I will keep an eye out for.
As a group the WR's looked good and they were going 100 percent and weren't taking any reps off. When I used to cover the Cougars at the Daily Cougar you would see players not give it their all in the reps, but that's not the case here. Wyatt was vocal and hands on with the the wide receivers.

Quarterback - I saw eight quarterbacks total, but they weren't doing that much work. Mainly working with the running backs on the Houston offense. Greg Ward seemed focus and was vocal speaking with the other quarterbacks. Herman has noted that Ward has started to make an effort to be a vocal leader.

Offensive lineman- The offensive line was working with the coach Derek Warehime and focused on pushing the dummy line back and forth.

Running backs- I got my first glance at Duke Catalon and he looked to be in good shape. Catalon and Ward seemed to be on the same page.

Defense
Coach Orlando worked with his defense on setting up at the line of scrimmage with a hurry up offense. Coach Craig Naivar called the signs into the defense from the sidelines and Orlando played some quarterback. The Cougars defense seemed to respond well and got into position fast. Defensive back will be a big question this year with all of the starters gone. Brandon Wilson was in the nickel position and on the outside was Howard Wilson and Jeremy Winchester. Khalil Williams played the safety position. We will have more on the defensive backs later.
Coach Herman has preached a physical practice all year and he wasn't joking.

Injury Notes
Coach Herman announced a couple of knee injures with defensive ends Chauntez Jackson and D.J. Jenkins. They will need surgery and are out indefinitely. Josh Thomas had a concussion during a practice.
Thoughts on the scrimmage Saturday
Herman thought the scrimmage on Saturday went well and know will focus on the ones and two's getting the majority of the reps. Herman said the team found out where there weakness are and will look to fix them.
Linebacker Steven Taylor
I caught up with the man in the middle who will be in charge of leading the defense.
leadership role
Q-With Elandon Roberts gone, how do you take on your new leadership role on the defense?
A-"I'm trying to take it on day at a time," Taylor said. I'm doing pretty good; I'm trying to get better as far as my verbal leadership skills. Everyone is following coach Herman's plan and hopefully it get us to that championship level ."
Q-How the program has changed since your freshman year?
A-"The culture has really changed," Taylor said. "Coach Herman installed a hardcore tough culture and a hard work ethic culture. We all bought in."
Q-How have you changed as a player with your time here at Houston?
A-I have matured a lot and that's because of our staff," Taylor said. "They have taught us the value of hard work and the importance of time. I have grown as a man as well."
Q-What did you learn from Elandon Roberts last year?
A-"He taught me to pay attention to small details," Taylor said. "He always worked hard and led by example. Everyone saw how he worked hard and we all fed off of it. He left it on the field.
Q-Thoughts on defensive coach Tom Orlando?
A-"He has bought a hardcore mentality to the defense," Taylor said. "He wants us to run through a wall and that every coach in the program."
Talking DB's
I caught up with defensive back coach Jason Washington.
Q-Houston lost four starters, how have the DB's looked in camp?
A-"We're coming along," Washington said. "Athletically were there; of course we lost some great leaders with a lot of reps, but are we have guys stepping up like Khalil Williams, Garrett Davis, Howard Wilson, and Jeremy Winchester."
Q-What's it going to take for the guys to become the starters.
A-"It's going to take consistency," Washington said. "Being consistent all the time, never die type of attitude, They're going to have to compete and be productive."
Q-Have young talent with the 2016 recruiting class, how are they doing?
A-"They come from winning programs and have a chance to compete for playing time," Washington said. "They're working hard."
Q-Collin Wilder recently had his blue stripe removed, what were your thoughts on one of your DB's getting that honor?
A-"It didn't surprise me at all," Washington said. "I was fired up for him. He came from a phenomenal program and he's brought that work ethic and toughness to the third ward.
Q-Relationship with coach Herman, how did that start?
We started at Texas State in 2015," Washington said. "I knew from the start he was going to be something special. We kept in touch throughout the years. I'm blessed to be with him. I learned how to run a program, how to treat players, and I'm excited to be with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News