ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday Head Coaching Search Update (UPDATED 4:30 p.m.)

-Sellers-

Staff
Feb 8, 2009
Just wanted to pass along some very reliable information I have been able to gather over the last few days.

The good news for all that are hoping for a quick end to this process is that from some that I have spoken to, they feel this process could be over as soon as this weekend and that it will not drag out too much longer.

I'm told that Tom Herman is in a very solid place right now in the process.

A couple of names I now feel I CAN rule out are Mike Leach, Lane Kiffin and Doug Meacham.

As far as transitioning between the two staffs, I think it would be foolish to assume everyone would be out but I am speaking specifically to the defensive side of the ball. What David Gibbs and his defensive assistants have been able to do in the last couple of years is nothing short of phenomenal. I would imagine any incoming coach, specifically and offensive minded coach, will strongly consider making an effort to keeping the defensive side of the ball intact. Gibbs is very well thought of in the coaching circles and if Gibbs is legitimately happy being a defensive coordinator and he does not have real aspirations of getting to be a head coach then it is realistic to think that he could stick around under a new head coach.

I was told that pretty much everyone on my hot board other than Herman are out by now but that the university is set on making a big hire and the right hire here.

It is no secret that there are rumors beginning to circulate around another round of possible expansion coming up Houston must strike while they can to be in the right place for when that begins to happen. That likely sped up the need to go in a new direction with the head coach.

I'll pass along more as I can get it, stay tuned...

UPDATE 4:30 P.M. - I can now verify that Will Muschamp is on that short final list and there is some mutual interest on both sides. Can't speak to where he falls on Houston's list right now but the information that has floated around some is legit.
This post was edited on 12/11 4:34 PM by -Sellers-

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News