ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Tom Herman Update

JeffersonPowell

Staff
Jun 2, 2011
I wanted to address some of the rumors swirling around the twitterverse and interwebs about Tom Herman. I talked to a source close to the situation who 100% debunked the Baylor Rumors. This leaves me to believe that this website that created these rumors basically "guessed" or completely fabricated the reports on a hunch that Mack Rhoades would reach out to Tom Herman.

I can't completely confirm that Rhoades hasn't reached out to Herman and to be completely honest I would be a little surprised if he hadn't. But I did hear that outside of their Houston connection Herman and Rhoades are not that close.

But based on what my source tells me is, if Herman were to leave UH there is a very small list of schools on his short list, none of which are Baylor. With everything that's happened over the last couple of months, I wouldn't expect that Baylor would be any more attractive than they were, an are probably much less attractive. They are in a bad situation and things could get much worse if the NCAA decides to step in, which could happen.

So the reports of Herman meeting with Baylor and or accepting a position in the near future. They are 100-percent false.

With That Said

When Herman initially took the job at UH, very few if any looked at it as a destination job for the young and promising soon to be head coach. My Source did tell me that Herman wants to be a coach for a Top 10 program. They also went on to say that Herman feels as though if UH can get to a bigger conference, there is belief that Houston can be that program and would drastically increase Houston's chances of retaining Herman long term.

The Bottom Line

Herman loves it at Houston, the University has already made an improved commitment to improving the overall football program top to bottom, with the higher assistant salaries, investing in new facilities and their commitment of reaching a P5 conference.

The Baylor Rumors are simply not true. There's absolutely no reason to expect Herman to move anywhere in the immediate future. This staff is completely focused on winning football games for the University of Houston right now.

This could change next offseason depending on other developments around the College Football world but barring an opening and offer from a school on his short list I don't see him leaving Houston soon and if Houston reaches P5 status, his chances of staying would drastically increase.

I think long term his future at Houston depends on if and how quickly Houston can reach that coveted P5 status before an offer comes to the table that he just simply can't pass up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News