ADVERTISEMENT

Which Offense would you prefer to win the next 3 games

GCW

May 29, 2001
Reposted with permission from Gene Cross (father of Travis and former Baylor player)

A good POV well-stated from a guy with a better football resume than most of us...

If I want to win the next three games against Tulane, Tulsa and SMU: I am going to RUN the ball as much as I can with my Dual Treat QB and when I throw I will make safe passes, like a 6 inch jet sweep pass, a screen pass, bubble screen, outside WR screen. I do not want the ball to hit the ground and I want the clock running. I want to shorten the game, keep the risk low and let my Defense take their lunch money. I want to keep penalties to minimum and never never turn the ball over. I have my two hardest games on my home field and will never let O' MO move to the other side of the field. Penalties, turnovers, bad weather conditions and mistakes can change momentum. I do not want these three teams to sniff the possibility of an Upset win. I going to kick their *** from the time the get off the bus till i help them back on the bus to go home. When I go to Dallas I going to get in, play it safe, get a Win and Get out then go eat some Turkey.

I want to keep my players healthy, especially my defensive players. I have already lost two major starters and I do not want to lose any more. By running the balI, I shorten the remainder of the season almost by a full game. I will run about 30% fewer plays over the next three games by keeping the clock moving. Fewer snaps per game will reduce the possibility for my team to have fewer injuries at offense, defense and special teams. Short games fewer snaps less injuries

With a Dual treat QB and the renewed focus on the running game, I am giving my OL an opportunity to get after some people. They have been beat like dogs all season but now they are beginning to establish themselves on the field and developing some pride. Pass blocking every play really really sucks. You play on the back of your heals. The Defense is twisting and turning and they get to line up and come after you and you have to take it. Especially on the edge, those little Des get 5-7 yard running start (in a 5-7-9 stance like BYU did) and you are alone on a island and just trying to hold on. NO More. With a Dual Treat QB taking snaps their front 7 DL/LB have to maintain gap control at the line of scrimmage because if my QB breaks the line of scrimmage to the second level bad things happen to them. Now the DL and LB are on the back of their heels with their lane assignments and my OL (and blocking RBs) are coming after them from all over the place. This is why you see the PLAYERS energy and High Fives and butt slapping on the side lines. It changes their whole attitude and attitude is everything. This team now plays from a position of strength.

Most of you guys understand this but here is my POINT. This did not happen by accident. The team did not stumble into this position by happenstance. This is not some Jr High Offensive Scheme. This was planned, strategically installed and executed by the coaching staff and players at the University of Houston football team. It took some major STONEs to bench the existing QB who was the face of the UH football program and take a WR/Punt Returner and put him at QB. Most everyone bought in to the plan. It was discussed in detail with the players and HCTL picked up the flag and away they went.

And here we are with wins at Memphis, Temple and USF. Instead of celebrating these wins and the opportunity to win a AAC CC some of you want to run Polls about if you should fire your staff at the end of the season. You debate weather you want to Pass the ball more and keep up the Brand of the "Air Raid". You want to debate yards gained over Winning. I can not even comprehend a poll whereby you are asked to choose between winning a championship for your team or choosing to lose the Championship so you can have the leverage to dismiss a coach. Really? You guys can debate anything and everything about your team but the only real STAT that matters is the score at the end of the game. Winning Championships will bring people to the games and get you noticed. Everything else is secondary.

It would be a major accomplishment when UH wins the next three games and put themselves in a position to play for the AAC CC Cincinnati will be a different kettle of fish. We can cross that bridge when these three games are behind us. But now take pride in what they have before them over the next three weeks. I think we need to support them as best we can.

As for coaches ... there is more than enough time to discuss and evaluate the coaches at the end of the season. Can you just let that go for now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News