ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment News

coogam

Gold Member
Mar 9, 2011
I held off posting this when I read the tweets from Flugaur quoting his source from the B1G, BTM. But I see 247Sports has picked it up so here we go and it is very interesting.

Big 10 has an interest in adding both OU and UT.

Why? Because the BTN is making money hand over fist and they want opportunities to make more. Remember Maryland and Rutgers? Hence the interest in OU and UT and they will target these two schools in 2024-2025.

But OU is the school to watch. Why? The GOR for the Big 12-2 is set to expire in 2025. But, OU wants to negotiate their 3rd tier rights. Normally they would get their best deal for a long period of time. BTM says watch out for them doing a 3rd tier rights deal which expires as soon as or sooner than June 30, 2025. If that happens something could be up with OU coming to the Big 10.

Next comes UT and its LHN which has long been said to be a sticking point about any UT realignment plans......but no more. Here is why. The LHN contract apparently is not ironclad like the GOR's contract. Plus, it is losing Disney money and not the exposure magnet UT once thought it would be. So according to BTM the LHN is "but a twig in the road and not a log at this point."

Last two points. The Big 10 could have ended their BTN contract at any date but they chose one that ended in 2022. That gives all parties concerned plenty of time to get all their realignment ducks in a row between then and the time the Big 12's GOR expires.

And lastly, the Big 10 and the ACC want a one division league (like the Big 12-2). This allows tv to schedule and show the better match-ups and makes them a whole lot more money.

Will all of the above happen? Who knows but it certainly does make for interesting discussion while we wait on our UH stuff and AAC tv contract to take place.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...orns-125965141/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News