ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Players Skipping Bowl Game

thirdgencoog

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2016
Somewhere down in Texas
I was listening to 97.5 this morning and Granato/Zierlein brought on CTH and one of the questions was about players skipping bowl games. CTH, in his usual fashion, danced around the question, and brought up that its a two sided coin. It allows guys who haven't gotten solid reps in practice to get them now BUT your team is not as good heading into the bowl game because if those players were good enough to play they would have started.

The trend was highlighted on two fronts over the last two years, all of which are provided in this article:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/13/16670494/players-skipping-bowl-games-nfl-draft

Christian McCaffery and Leonard Fournette both sat out of the game and were drafted in the Top-10...where as Jaylon Smith, a top-10 pick graded, played in the ND vs OSU game and tore both his ACL and ICL in the first quarter.

This typically will not be an issue at UH but we will have one case in Ed Oliver one year from now. Players can have insurance policies like the TE from Michigan who got paid for each round he wasn't drafted according to his projected draft slot.

How do y'all feel about players sitting out of bowl games knowing they will be drafted?

My thoughts are pretty simple...
giphy.gif

These players were not paid salaries but given scholarships and room/board free, so that is not the direction I am going. I am simply referencing that if a player knows the draft slot he is projected and feels it is alright to sit out then they should sit.

The bowl game is a culmination of the hard work throughout the season but it is an exhibition reward that with injury could cost a player a lot of dough. Herman reflected that it is a team game but the player is 'family' and the team will support them in whatever decision they choose.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News