ADVERTISEMENT

Tony's Comments in the Paper

lovetheticketofficecoog

Jun 29, 2007
I am surprised that I have not seen any comments about this so perhaps I am just being too sensitive about this topic but I feel like Tony threw the players under the bus again today with his comments in the paper.

"Our formula for winning starts with turnovers, winning the turnover margin," UH coach Tony Levine said. "We didn't do that today. At the end of the day, the turnovers were too much".

Among the problems I have with this is the fact that "our formula for winning" is predicated on turnovers....everyone that can fog a mirror knows how important turnovers are to success so surely our "formula" comprises more than just this?

A player, Adrian McDonald, started Turnover Tuesday so arguably Tony has not even shown leadership in developing our "formula for winning".

Kind of ironic in that attaining turnovers accounting for almost half of our points, all by the D so maybe we should limit the comments to turnovers by the offense because the first part of his statement starts off sounding like he was also blaming the D for not generating turnovers. Odd choice to talk about turnover margin instead of offensive turnovers.

A few weeks ago Tony called out the team for not executing the way they are drawn up (paraphrasing). This strikes me as putting the onus for this loss on the players instead of accepting at least part of the responsibility.

Granted, he used the word "we" but the context seems to me that he was conveying "they", meaning the players.

How about, "we clearly did not have them focused on ball security" or some sort of statement that includes he and his staff's shortcomings.

Or, "yes, offensive turnovers hurt us but had our offense been at the level it has been for over a decade, had I actually continued that offensive tradition as I pledged to do, we would have overcome these turnovers against a Tulane type team". Because while turnovers did indeed hurt us so did the bad coaching and bad blocking by the OLine.

It seems to me that he has thrown the players under the bus twice now and not fully accepted his role in these losses or the role of his OC and staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News